Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default URGENT - percentage calculation

Hi,

Example:
I would like to make $250, 90% of $300. This will not make sense to alot of
you because as a percentage - $250 is not 90% of $300, but I am trying to
test a formula in excel that I have been working on.

Is there someway or formula in excel which will allow me to make, or let
excel think that $250 really is 90% of $300?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why don't you just change 250 to 270?

Otherwise, it's hard for me to understand what you're trying to do. XL
doesn't "think" 250 is 90% or any other percentage of 300 - it just
calculates values.

In article ,
Jack wrote:

Hi,

Example:
I would like to make $250, 90% of $300. This will not make sense to alot of
you because as a percentage - $250 is not 90% of $300, but I am trying to
test a formula in excel that I have been working on.

Is there someway or formula in excel which will allow me to make, or let
excel think that $250 really is 90% of $300?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jack,

I just had to try and make a similar formula. You need to use the IF
function. instead of entering the True or Flase text I used a simple formula
that would subtract the difference between the two. In my formula I wanted
70% to equal 0% and 100% to equal 100%.

I don't have the formula with me but it was something like:
=IF(D3=70,(D3-69)/(D4-69),"0")

It may take a while this took me 2 hours!
masonn2.

"Jack" wrote:

Hi,

Example:
I would like to make $250, 90% of $300. This will not make sense to alot of
you because as a percentage - $250 is not 90% of $300, but I am trying to
test a formula in excel that I have been working on.

Is there someway or formula in excel which will allow me to make, or let
excel think that $250 really is 90% of $300?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Aug 8, 8:24 pm, Jack wrote:
I would like to make $250, 90% of $300. This will not make sense
to alot of you because as a percentage

Y'think? ;-)

Is there someway or formula in excel which will allow me to make,
or let excel think that $250 really is 90% of $300?

The formula can be as arbitrarily complex or simplistic as you want.
But on the off-chance that you simply are doing a poor job of
explaining what you want, the following formula rounds down to
multiples of 50:

=50 * rounddown(300*90%/50,0)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

90% is simply 9/10s of some value. You CAN make a look up table and
"fake it". You may want to add some more info. Like what produces the
90%? The user? What happens if it's 80%? Or 95%? Humm, change that to,
"add a lot more info".

Jack wrote:

Hi,

Example:
I would like to make $250, 90% of $300. This will not make sense to alot of
you because as a percentage - $250 is not 90% of $300, but I am trying to
test a formula in excel that I have been working on.

Is there someway or formula in excel which will allow me to make, or let
excel think that $250 really is 90% of $300?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm going to go ahead and ignore the fact that the question doesn't
make much sense.

Is this what you're looking for?

A1 = 0.9
A2 = 300