Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default =LARGE and cells equaling 0

Column "F"
57.83
0
60485
57.83
0

When I try =LARGE(F1:F6,1) the formula returns 0 ? Why is that, more
importantly how can I fix it ?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Column "F"
57.83
0
60485
57.83
0
0

When I try =LARGE(F1:F6,1) the formula returns 0 ? Why is
that, more importantly how can I fix it ?

It works for me using your data (as long as all those values are numbers,
not text). Are you non-zero values formatted as text by any chance?

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hmmm...

If all the values where formatted as TEXT then the formula would return an
error. So, it appears that for whatever reason all the non-zero entries are
being ignored. They maybe text with leading/trailing spaces that can't be
seen. Test the cell holding 60485 to see if it is in fact a numeric number:

=ISNUMBER(F3)

The result should be TRUE. If the result is not TRUE then you need to look
at either the formatting or look for unseen characters.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"M.A.Tyler" <Great Lakes State wrote in message
Column "F"
57.83
0
60485
57.83
0
0

When I try =LARGE(F1:F6,1) the formula returns 0 ? Why is that, more
importantly how can I fix it ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You 0's are numbers, and your numbers are text.
If all your data were text, you'd get the #NUM! error.

Right click on a new, unused, empty cell, and choose "Copy".

Select all your numbers.
Right click in the selection, and choose "Paste Special",
Click on "Add", then <OK.

And that should make your numbers true, XL recognized numbers, and your
formula should work as expected.

--
HTH,

RD

"M.A.Tyler" <Great Lakes State wrote in message
Column "F"
57.83
0
60485
57.83
0
0

When I try =LARGE(F1:F6,1) the formula returns 0 ? Why is that, more
importantly how can I fix it ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome, and appreciate the feed-back.

RD

"Ragdyer" wrote:

You 0's are numbers, and your numbers are text.
If all your data were text, you'd get the #NUM! error.

Right click on a new, unused, empty cell, and choose "Copy".

Select all your numbers.
Right click in the selection, and choose "Paste Special",
Click on "Add", then <OK.

And that should make your numbers true, XL recognized numbers, and your
formula should work as expected.

--
HTH,

RD

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit
!