Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula Evaluator Addin???

Is there an addin out there that will evaluate parts of a formula? I thought
I remember seeing one that where you could highlight part of a formula in the
formula bar, and it would pop up a bubble giving the result of only that part
of the formula. Like I'm using INDIRECTS with MATCHES and things like that,
just to come up with a Column Letter to use in a formula, and I'd like
something so I could highlight that part to see if it results in the correct
column letter, without cutting and pasting that part into it's own formula.
Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In XL XP, 03, and 07 there is such a tool. Go to View--Toolbars--
Formula Auditing. The button on the righthand end of this toolbar
allows you to evaluate formulas in the manner you're describing.

If you're using an earlier version of XL I don't believe there is such
a built in tool. Perhaps there is a third party add in.

On Aug 7, 10:30 am, Mike wrote:
Is there an addin out there that will evaluate parts of a formula? I thought
I remember seeing one that where you could highlight part of a formula in the
formula bar, and it would pop up a bubble giving the result of only that part
of the formula. Like I'm using INDIRECTS with MATCHES and things like that,
just to come up with a Column Letter to use in a formula, and I'd like
something so I could highlight that part to see if it results in the correct
column letter, without cutting and pasting that part into it's own formula.
Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can also highlight parts of a formula and then press F9 to see the
result of that particular section, i.e.

=IF(A2="","",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,MasterList,0))," ","Invalid"))

if you highlight ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,MasterList,0))

then press F9 you will see either TRUE or FALSE, then to exit from the
formula press escape, don't press enter or you will hardcode in FALSE in
that particular section

Peo Sjoblom