Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc
No Name

Default Referencing

Folks:

I have 2 spreadsheets. The first consists of 5 columns & 4000 rows of
information. The 2nd consists of 1 column and about 10 rows.
I am looking for an Excel command that would allow me to take each piece of
data from spreadsheet #2 and perform some sort of LOOKUP in table #1 then
bring back the other 4 columns of information.

Thanks,
JoJo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

You need to look into a VLOOKUP, be aware though that it will only look up
one value, eg. if the first sheet contains the same item multiple times, only
one will be returned on sheet 2, look into the VLOOKUP options and decide
which you need
--
-John
is helpful.

"JoJo" wrote:

Folks:

I have 2 spreadsheets. The first consists of 5 columns & 4000 rows of
information. The 2nd consists of 1 column and about 10 rows.
I am looking for an Excel command that would allow me to take each piece of
data from spreadsheet #2 and perform some sort of LOOKUP in table #1 then
bring back the other 4 columns of information.

Thanks,
JoJo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming your 10 rows in Sheet2 have data in column A, and that you
are trying to match on column A of Sheet1, enter this in B1 of Sheet2:

=VLOOKUP($A1,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$4000,COLUMN(B1),0)

Adjust the cell references to suit. Copy this into C1:E1, then copy
B1:E1 down the 10 rows in Sheet2.

Hope this helps.

Pete