Sandeeep

Default Maximum characters that can be displayed in a cell

When I try to display a text having nearly 4200 characetrs, It is not
appearing completely in a single cell. The complete text is appearing in the
formula bar. I tried by increasing the cell width, height, and reducing font
size etc. Is this a limitation with excel? Can anyone suggest an tip, so that
entire text can be displayed in the cell? If the display is not possible, is
there any way to print the entire text?

Thanks in Advance for the help,

Sandeep.
JE McGimpsey

Per XL's specifications (Help, "Specifications"), a cell can contain
32767 characters, but display and print only 1024.

That can be extended if a manual line break (ALT-ENTER) is inserted at
least every 1024 characters.

In article ,
"Sandeeep" wrote:

When I try to display a text having nearly 4200 characetrs, It is not
appearing completely in a single cell. The complete text is appearing in the
formula bar. I tried by increasing the cell width, height, and reducing font
size etc. Is this a limitation with excel? Can anyone suggest an tip, so that
entire text can be displayed in the cell? If the display is not possible, is
there any way to print the entire text?

Gord Dibben

Sandeep

Excel Help on "limits" or "specifications" reveals that Excel will allow
32,767 characters to be entered in a cell.

However, it goes on to state that "only 1024 characters will be visible or can
be printed"

To work around this limitation, stick a few ALT + ENTERs in at appropriate
spots.

The ALT + ENTER forces a line-feed and expands the 1024 limit.

How far is not really known. Just experiment.

.........From Dave Peterson..........

I put this formula in A1:
="xxx"& REPT(REPT("asdf ",25)&CHAR(10),58)&"yyy"

And adjusted the columnwidth, rowheight and font size and I got about 7300
characters to print ok.

Failing that, use a Text Box to store the text.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP