ChaimB

Default What is the maximum text size in a cell

Is this true for EXCEL 2000?

I have a file from a customer which currently has 1022 characters in
one particular cell and I have NOT been able to enter any additional
characters - I did try issuing ALT-ENTER but this does not seem to do
anything.

I have noticed that in EXCEL 2003 I CAN enter many more characters!

For my own edification, what dose the 32 KB limit give me if
operationally I can enter only 1 KB+ number of characters?

Thanks,

Chaim

Gord Dibben Wrote:
Ned

The maximum is 32,767 characters to a cell.

However, as Frank points out, only 1024 will show or can be printed.

Increase the 1024 by using ALT + ENTER at appropriate spots.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 00:49:04 -0800, "NED 1451" NED
wrote:
-
Can anyone give me some info on the maximum text size you can put in a
cell.
How many characters/words

Thanx.

NED 1451-

--
ChaimB
Gord Dibben

Chaim

I have never used 2000 so can't speak for that.

97 shows a portion of the characters. As you decrease the number of chars,
the shown portion decreases in some sort of ratio.

As far as being able to enter 32,767 chars and see only 1024, your guess is as
good as mine.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

wrote:
-
Can anyone give me some info on the maximum text size you can put in a
cell.
How many characters/words

Thanx.

NED 1451-

ChaimB

Basically, nothing happens! The cursor does NOT move at all, and there
is a "BEEP".

For "debugging" purposes I set a LEN function on this cell in another
empty cell and the size remains the same/

Thanks,

Chaim

wrote:
-
Can anyone give me some info on the maximum text size you can put in
cell.
How many characters/words

Thanx.

NED 1451--

--
ChaimB-

--

Dave Peterson

--
ChaimB
Dave Peterson

I don't have a guess what could be happening?

If you put
=REPT("asdf ",250)
in A1 and then Edit|copy, Edit|paste special|Values

Can you add more text to that cell?

-