Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Text to Columns leaves duplicate row of data at end

I have text file with all the data in column A, with fields delimited by a
carot ^.
When I convert Text to Columns using the carot as the delimiter it works ok,
except Excel leaves a duplicate of the last row of data, undelimited.

My business customer thinks its a fault of the query being run beforehand,
but I've pointed out the results before and after Excel does it's thing.
Still, they want a solution that doesn't duplicate the last row.

Any thoughts ?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Does your data start in row 2 (or anything but row 1)?

Are you selecting the whole column and trying to plop it back to its original
location?

If you are, then make sure that you choose the correct cell location (don't use
A1 when the data starts in A5) in the destination box (on the step 3 of 3
dialog).

Or just be careful when you select the range--just select the range you really
want to parse.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think I have my answer. I have a blank row in row 1, column headers in row
2, then data in row 3 onward...

The blank row is what causes the problem. When I delete the blank row, and
do Text to Columns, I don't get the duplicate last row.

I think that's similar to your advice Dave.

Thx.