Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Deleting part of the infomation in a cell

I have been asked to give a total of all the Liters since 2006. In the excel
column there is a quantity using numbers but after the number is (L) for
liters. I wanted the total sum of about 2000 rows and cannot get it unless I
manually delete all the (L)'s from each cell individually. Is there a way
to take out all the (L)'s at the same time or am i going to have to do all
the 2000 entries separately.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Put this in a helper column alongside your data and drag down. It will
extract the numbers for you to add up.

=--LEFT(A1,SUMPRODUCT((LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},"")))))

Mike

"Office Lapis" wrote:

I have been asked to give a total of all the Liters since 2006. In the excel
column there is a quantity using numbers but after the number is (L) for
liters. I wanted the total sum of about 2000 rows and cannot get it unless I
manually delete all the (L)'s from each cell individually. Is there a way
to take out all the (L)'s at the same time or am i going to have to do all
the 2000 entries separately.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Go into your edit pull down and select replace. In the "Find what" field
type L and in the "Replace with" field, leave it blank. Then click the
"Replace All" button and it should take care of the entire column.

Hope this helps.

Shannon W.

"Office Lapis" wrote:

I have been asked to give a total of all the Liters since 2006. In the excel
column there is a quantity using numbers but after the number is (L) for
liters. I wanted the total sum of about 2000 rows and cannot get it unless I
manually delete all the (L)'s from each cell individually. Is there a way
to take out all the (L)'s at the same time or am i going to have to do all
the 2000 entries separately.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

ASAP Utilities, a free add-in available at www.asap-utilities.com has a
feature that will delete all Alpha characters from a string.......

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3