Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data auto edit

Okay! I am importing part numbers into excel and some of the part numbers get
automatically changed into dates because of the format. for example 7-40
turns into Jul-40. How do I turn off this auto data editing so my numbers
don't get changed.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Do the following;

1. Select the Cell or range
2. On the Format menu, click Cells.
The Format Cells dialog box is displayed.
3. Click the Number tab.
4. In the Category list, select Text.
5. Click Ok to apply the format to the range in the Worksheet.

Challa Prabhu

"jxbeeman" wrote:

Okay! I am importing part numbers into excel and some of the part numbers get
automatically changed into dates because of the format. for example 7-40
turns into Jul-40. How do I turn off this auto data editing so my numbers
don't get changed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What Challa didn't mention is that this needs to be done *before* you put
the data into the cells. If you've got Jul-40 displayed in the cell,
Challa's solution won't turn it back to 7-40.
--
David Biddulph

"jxbeeman" wrote:

Okay! I am importing part numbers into excel and some of the part numbers
get
automatically changed into dates because of the format. for example 7-40
turns into Jul-40. How do I turn off this auto data editing so my
numbers
don't get changed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're importing the files via File|Open (and opening a text file), you'll
see the text to columns wizard.

You can specify the format for each field--general, text, date, or skip.

You'd want to specify Text for these type fields.

jxbeeman wrote:

Okay! I am importing part numbers into excel and some of the part numbers get
automatically changed into dates because of the format. for example 7-40
turns into Jul-40. How do I turn off this auto data editing so my numbers
don't get changed.

--

Dave Peterson