Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Data auto edit

Not that I know.

And what number does 7-40 represent?
-33
?????

jxbeeman wrote:

The problem is that i still need it recognized as a number and not text. Is
there someway to turn off the auto-date correction. Thanks

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If you're importing the files via File|Open (and opening a text file), you'll
see the text to columns wizard.

You can specify the format for each field--general, text, date, or skip.

You'd want to specify Text for these type fields.

jxbeeman wrote:

Okay! I am importing part numbers into excel and some of the part numbers get
automatically changed into dates because of the format. for example 7-40
turns into Jul-40. How do I turn off this auto data editing so my numbers
don't get changed.

--

Dave Peterson

--