Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Man Man is offline

Default Colours

Is there any formulas so I can colour a cell in a particular colour in one
workbook and have the colour also appear in a particular cell in another
workbook?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The short answer is No. A formula can only return a value to the cell
in which it is located - it cannot change the format (colour), nor can
it "push" a result to another cell.

Pete

On Aug 1, 11:46 pm, Man wrote:
Is there any formulas so I can colour a cell in a particular colour in one
workbook and have the colour also appear in a particular cell in another
workbook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome - sorry the answer couldn't be Yes.

Pete

On Aug 1, 11:46 pm, Man wrote:
Is there any formulas so I can colour a cell in a particular colour in one
workbook and have the colour also appear in a particular cell in another
workbook?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ed ed is offline

On Aug 1, 5:46 pm, Man wrote:
Is there any formulas so I can colour a cell in a particular colour in one
workbook and have the colour also appear in a particular cell in another
workbook?

Yes You can't "push" a value or format, but you can "pull" it.
Whatever caused the change in color of the first cell was triggered by
a conditional formatting condition or formula. That criteria can cause
a change in a cell on the second worksheet by writing a formula in the
2nd worksheet cell that duplicates the action of the original CF
formula or condition. Conditinal formatting can then be applied to
the desired cell in the 2nd worksheet (CF is confined to same
worksheet values hence the need of a "bridging " formula==which
wouldn't be required if it was on the same worksheet). I could
illustrate if you could provide the original cell condition or
formula, and the initial CF.

ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And if the colour was manually applied to the first cell? The OP said:

... so I can colour a cell in a particular colour ...

Why did you repeat your post 12 hours later? I saw your first one.

Pete

On Aug 3, 6:28 pm, ed wrote:

Yes You can't "push" a value or format, but you can "pull" it.
Whatever caused the change in color of the first cell was triggered
by
a conditional formatting condition or formula. That criteria can
cause
a change in a cell on the second worksheet by writing a formula in
the
2nd worksheet cell that duplicates the action of the original CF
formula or condition. Conditinal formatting can then be applied to
the desired cell in the 2nd worksheet (CF is confined to same
worksheet values hence the need of a "bridging " formula==which
wouldn't be required if it was on the same worksheet). I could
illustrate if you could provide the original cell condition or
formula, and the initial CF.

ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ed ed is offline

On Aug 3, 6:28 pm, ed wrote:

Yes You can't "push" a value or format, but you can "pull" it.
Whatever caused the change in color of the first cell was triggered
by
a conditional formatting condition or formula. That criteria can
cause
a change in a cell on the second worksheet by writing a formula in
the
2nd worksheet cell that duplicates the action of the original CF
formula or condition. Conditinal formatting can then be applied to
the desired cell in the 2nd worksheet (CF is confined to same
worksheet values hence the need of a "bridging " formula==which
wouldn't be required if it was on the same worksheet). I could
illustrate if you could provide the original cell condition or
formula, and the initial CF.

ed- Hide quoted text -

Sorry for the duplication, Pete, but I posted to a 2 day old thread
and my post stayed about 5 pages back instead of advancing to a
current position. I'm working with a laptop and my external mouse
went dead so it's a pain (for me) to manuever, and the continuity for
who's "reply" belongs to whose post totally confuses me, let alone all
the text hiding etc. So I thought I had done something wrong. It
won't be the first double post for me or others to ignore. But it
still didn't advance. I was actually trying to send the post to the
poster (instead of double posting) but it went back to me the first
time. I don't know if I ever was successful in that endeavor. So
much for the lousey site format and my inadequaies. Hope you never
goofed.

As for the post. The OP was less than candid, and I had to ask him
for details to go further. It is obvious that I *presumed* he colored
it with Conditional Formatting, which we know will not reach into
another worksheet. I guess I should have started my second sentnce
with "IF". But if it wasn't CF he could just Copy/Paste the original
cell and the formatting would follow to the second page, or use the
Format Brush, and I doubt if he would ask how to do THAT. Perhaps if
he was not already using CF he could, from my post, figure out how TO
use CF to achieve his end result. Until he replies, we'll never know.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

He's probably stopped listening now.

Pete

On Aug 3, 6:28 pm, ed wrote:

[...]

use CF to achieve his end result. Until he replies, we'll never know.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ed ed is offline

On Aug 3, 6:28 pm, ed wrote:

[...]

Pete: Instead of an IF at the start of the sentence the typo in ny
post is that there should have been a comma between Formatting and
condition. In deperation I just went out and bought new batteries for
my wireless mouse. I can't stand this laptop's built-in mouse
buttons. In other words, virtually whatever caused, or was the
reason, or the method to color, can be duplicated on the second sheet
and that cell(s) CF'ed to color the same as the first sheet cell(s).

And if it was arbitrary and manual, as you presumed, he should set up
a CF in the original cell so he can just type a letter in an adjoining
cell to change the color instead of resetting the format of the
original cell(s).

So, instead of telling him what he wants can't be done, I was telling
how to do what he wanted to do. The only comments I got was that I
double posted, 10 hours apart and that you saw my first post.