Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Low CPU Utilization

For some reason, even when Excel i scrunching away for periods of 5 minutes
or longer, CPU utilization rarely seems to be going over 50%. I'm running
Ecel 2007 on a Dell Inspiron 6400 with an Intel T2400 Core Duo... Excel is
set to use all available processors too...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Does it have a lot of code or on sheet calculations? And more importantly
than processors, how is the RAM? Sounds a bit too slow for calculation
problems.
--
-John
is helpful.

"Eric" wrote:

For some reason, even when Excel i scrunching away for periods of 5 minutes
or longer, CPU utilization rarely seems to be going over 50%. I'm running
Ecel 2007 on a Dell Inspiron 6400 with an Intel T2400 Core Duo... Excel is
set to use all available processors too...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not worried about the speed.. I'm wondering why Excel isn't ever using
more than 50% CPU utilization... to me it seems like it is only ever using
one processor. I've observed this while working with a pivot table on a
800MB access file, and while working on sheets with multiple columns of 1000
plus rows of vlookup formulas.

The laptop has 1 GB of ram.

"Eric" wrote:

For some reason, even when Excel i scrunching away for periods of 5 minutes
or longer, CPU utilization rarely seems to be going over 50%. I'm running
Ecel 2007 on a Dell Inspiron 6400 with an Intel T2400 Core Duo... Excel is
set to use all available processors too...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

One reason could be that you Excel must be using more compute intensive -
Floating point operation, Functions, Lookups, named definitions or Macros -
I guess.

Challa Prabhu

"Eric" wrote:

For some reason, even when Excel i scrunching away for periods of 5 minutes
or longer, CPU utilization rarely seems to be going over 50%. I'm running
Ecel 2007 on a Dell Inspiron 6400 with an Intel T2400 Core Duo... Excel is
set to use all available processors too...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK, I've monitored things a little closer, and, when doing database type
activities (e.g. populating a pivot table) CPU utilization always maxes out
at exactly 50%.... this seems to suggest that Excel isn't able to
multi-thread these activitities?

I guess I won't be looking into that quad core CPU after all...