Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Ignore zero in column for subtotal

I am averaging a list of statistics for 75 people using
SUBTOTAL(1,D5:D59) These stats come from another sheet, so I am using
=IF(ISERR('MAY INDIVIDUAL'!I47),0,'MAY INDIVIDUAL'!I47) to pull the
numbers from sheet "MAY INDIVIDUAL" and, if there is no stat (such
would show up as a #DIV/0 error) it will change the error to a zero so
the average will compute without an error.

Now, of course, I have the problem of averaging a lot of zero's into
the total, bringing the average down.

How can I make the subtotal ignore the zero's and only average those
numbers greater than zero? I cannot do a filter because it is a
progressive worksheet that included data from several different
sheets, all or one of which may input zero's in subsequent columns.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Instead of returning a zero if there is an error, try returning
"" (i.e. blank cell) and see if that corrects your averaging.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 1, 2:28 pm, michaelberrier wrote:
I am averaging a list of statistics for 75 people using
SUBTOTAL(1,D5:D59) These stats come from another sheet, so I am using
=IF(ISERR('MAY INDIVIDUAL'!I47),0,'MAY INDIVIDUAL'!I47) to pull the
numbers from sheet "MAY INDIVIDUAL" and, if there is no stat (such
would show up as a #DIV/0 error) it will change the error to a zero so
the average will compute without an error.

Now, of course, I have the problem of averaging a lot of zero's into
the total, bringing the average down.

How can I make the subtotal ignore the zero's and only average those
numbers greater than zero? I cannot do a filter because it is a
progressive worksheet that included data from several different
sheets, all or one of which may input zero's in subsequent columns.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Aug 1, 9:40 am, Pete_UK wrote:
[...]

Perfect. Imagine that, the one thing I didn't try.

Thanks a lot!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome, Michael - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Aug 1, 2:50 pm, michaelberrier wrote:
On Aug 1, 9:40 am, Pete_UK wrote:

[...]

Thanks a lot!- Hide quoted text -