Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculation/functionality for frequency of rows with specific text

Hi All,

Once again, stumped by Excel. Gotta say--it's times like this where I miss
a true query language.

So, here's my problem: I have a raw Excel sheet (converted from CSV) with
about 1k rows of data--an extraction of customer support cases, with each row
a unique case, showing typical values--d/t opened, closed, case #, customer,
case type, problem type... I need to generate a table from this which
contains the Top X case submitters based on customer name (and inevitably
sorted by various other factors). I know Frequency might work if I was
dealing with #'s, but I can't seem to wrap myself around the calculation.
Even if Frequency DID work for textual values, I have somewhere on the order
of several hundred customer names which would have to represent the
"ranges"... which would defeat the purpose of automating this. I need to A)
Count frequency of each customer and if possible, B) Show either a "Top
Ten" list of offenders, or a "Show All Customers In Excess of 5".

Any takers? (Yes, I know, it's like trying to squeeze milk from a rock...
but sometimes, you've just got an urge to pull on a quartz udder.)

Thanks,

Jamie