Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default why doesnt auto recovery work?

Ive turned on auto recover and set it to 5 mins but no matter what happens
there is never a backup document anywhere. I made the system crash with
unsaved changes but there is nothing there except the original document with
all changes lost. What does this actually do and how can I make it work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

There are two things you have to check. Make sure whether you have specified
the AutoRecover svae location path. ynder the Settings section in the Save
tab of the Options dialog box.

2. Verify that the Disable AutoRecover check box is cleared under the
Workbook Options.

I presume that you both the checkbox would have been selected or you would
not have retained the default path settings in the AutoRecover svae location
text box.

Please just check..

Challa Prabhu

"Scootercoe" wrote:

Ive turned on auto recover and set it to 5 mins but no matter what happens
there is never a backup document anywhere. I made the system crash with
unsaved changes but there is nothing there except the original document with
all changes lost. What does this actually do and how can I make it work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Question:

I turned on the AutoRecover feature before I lost my file, but I can't save
or open the recovered file.

Answer:

When you restart a Microsoft Office program after a power failure or similar
problem, the program automatically opens any recovered files. If for some
reason the recovery file didn't open, you can open it yourself.

1. On the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you
use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, click Customize on the Tools
menu, and then click the Toolbars tab.), click Open .

2. In the folder list, locate and double-click the folder where recovered
files are stored.

The location is usually C:\documents and settings\<username\Application
Data\Microsoft\<program name.

3. In the Files of type box, click All Files.

Each recovered file is named "AutoRecovery save of file name" and has the
program file name extension.

4. Click the name of the file you want to recover, and then click Open.
5. On the Standard toolbar, click Save .
6. In the File name box, enter the name of the existing file.
7. When you see a message asking whether or not you want to replace the
existing file, click Yes.

The recovered file does not contain my changes.

The amount of new information that the recovered file contains depends on
how frequently a Microsoft Office program saves the recovery file. For
example, if the recovery file is saved only every 15 minutes, your recovered
file won't contain your last 14 minutes of work before the power failure or
similar problem occurred. To change the AutoRecover save interval, enter a
number in the minutes box on the Save tab in the Options dialog box (Tools
menu).

Challa Prabhu