Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Deleting Rows and columns

How do I delete columns? I deleted all but a,b and c and others are
still there. I expected to see columns a,b and c then grey space to
the right. Am I wrong?

I noticed in a website, the following:
You can reduce the amount of Excel memory used by:

* Checking that the Excel's last cell on each sheet is in the
right place: Ctrl-End or Edit--Goto--Special--Last cell. When its
not where you want, for instance because of additional formatting or
recently deleted cells, you can reset the last cell by deleting all
columns to the right and rows below the correct last cell, and then
saving the workbook. Note that since this process will alter any
formulae that refer to the deleted cells you should make a backup copy
first!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you delete columns, you are actually only deleting the data & formats in
those columns. The columns that you are left with (say you deleted columns
D, E, and F), are the new columns D, E, & F with nothing in them. Keep in
mind that columns with no formatting and/or data don't take up any space.

Hope this helps.

"wx4usa" wrote:

How do I delete columns? I deleted all but a,b and c and others are
still there. I expected to see columns a,b and c then grey space to
the right. Am I wrong?

I noticed in a website, the following:
You can reduce the amount of Excel memory used by:

* Checking that the Excel's last cell on each sheet is in the
right place: Ctrl-End or Edit--Goto--Special--Last cell. When its
not where you want, for instance because of additional formatting or
recently deleted cells, you can reset the last cell by deleting all
columns to the right and rows below the correct last cell, and then
saving the workbook. Note that since this process will alter any
formulae that refer to the deleted cells you should make a backup copy
first!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Delete cells, rows, or columns

1. Select the cells, rows, or columns that you want to delete.

How to select cells, rows, or columns

To select Do this
A. A single cell
Click the cell, or press the arrow keys to move to the cell.

B. A range of cells
Click the first cell in the range, and then drag to the last cell.

C. A large range of cells
Click the first cell in the range, and then hold down SHIFT while you click
the last cell in the range. You can scroll to make the last cell visible.

D. Nonadjacent (nonadjacent selection cells or cell ranges
Select the first cell or range of cells, and then hold down CTRL while you
select the other cells or ranges.

E. Cells to the last used cell on the worksheet (lower-right corner) Select
the first cell, and then press CTRL+SHIFT+END to extend the selection of
cells to the last used cell on the worksheet (lower-right corner).

F. Cells to the beginning of the worksheet Select the first cell, and then
press CTRL+SHIFT+HOME to extend the selection of cells to the beginning of
the worksheet.

G. Columns or rows
Click the column or row heading.

H. Nonadjacent columns or rows
Select the first column or row, and then hold down CTRL while you select the
other columns or rows.

Note To cancel a selection of cells, click any cell on the worksheet.

2. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

Tip: You can also right-click a selection of cells, rows, or columns, and
then click Delete on the shortcut menu.

Note: Pressing DELETE deletes the contents of the selected cells, not the
cells themselves.

3. If you are deleting a cell or a range (range: Two or more cells on a
sheet. The cells in a range can be adjacent or nonadjacent.) of cells, in the
Delete dialog box, click Shift cells left, Shift cells up, Entire row, or
Entire column.
If you are deleting rows or columns, other rows or columns automatically
shift up or to the left.

Tips

To quickly repeat deleting cells, rows, or columns, select the next cells,
rows, or columns, and then press CTRL+Y.

If needed, you can restore deleted data immediately after deletion. On the
Edit menu, click Undo Delete, or press CTRL+Z.

Note: Microsoft Excel keeps formulas up to date by adjusting references to
the shifted cells to reflect their new locations. However, a formula that
refers to a deleted cell displays the #REF! error value.

Challa Prabhu