Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel "Not responding"

There's something wrong with the way Excel2007 handles charts with large
number of data points. For example, file converted from 2003 version
containing 1800 lines of data, which worked fine in the previous version
constantly freezes each time I select chart and want to make any changes.
This means that no changes can be made because it takes several minutes for
it to come back.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's a problem I noted, and reported to the Excel group with sample
files,some time ago: the Excel group is aware of it and I hope that the fix
for it appears with SP1 when it's released. Some charting operations that
were virtually instantaneous in 2003 (on a single core processor W/1GB RAM)
took around 10-12 minutes on two dual-core machines (one AMD, one Intel),
each with 2GB RAM and faster clocks. I know of more than one
person/organization that has dumped 2007 and reverted to their previous
version because they simply found the delays (and default settings for
scatter charts) unacceptable to them, since their primary use of Excel is to
plot literally thousands of data points from test equipment.

"jdmich" wrote:

There's something wrong with the way Excel2007 handles charts with large
number of data points. For example, file converted from 2003 version
containing 1800 lines of data, which worked fine in the previous version
constantly freezes each time I select chart and want to make any changes.
This means that no changes can be made because it takes several minutes for
it to come back.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

LATE NOTE: Not too far up this page (at this time) is this inquiry about a
Hotfix that may repair this specific problem. Might want to read the
discussion:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...0-390300dbb469