Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need Help in Creating Excel Formula

I need step by step instructions on how to build a formula. Example:
Column "C", row 3.1 has $100 in it and I want a tax amount of .05 percent of
that $100 (which would be $5) to appear in Column "D" of that same line.
I've gone bonkers in trying to get this done. ANY NICE PERSON OUT THERE
WILLING TO HELP?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want the formula to be in cell D3:

Select cell D3
Type this formula: =C3*0.05
Hit the ENTER key

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"poppiekat" <u36195@uwe wrote in message news:75d4f54e7a685@uwe...
I need step by step instructions on how to build a formula. Example:
Column "C", row 3.1 has $100 in it and I want a tax amount of .05 percent
of
that $100 (which would be $5) to appear in Column "D" of that same line.
I've gone bonkers in trying to get this done. ANY NICE PERSON OUT THERE
WILLING TO HELP?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way:

With $100 in cell C3, in cell D3 enter

= C3 * 5%

(since $5 is 5% of $100, not 0.05%). Format cell D3 as currency.

In article <75d4f54e7a685@uwe, "poppiekat" <u36195@uwe wrote:

I need step by step instructions on how to build a formula. Example:
Column "C", row 3.1 has $100 in it and I want a tax amount of .05 percent of
that $100 (which would be $5) to appear in Column "D" of that same line.
I've gone bonkers in trying to get this done. ANY NICE PERSON OUT THERE
WILLING TO HELP?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

JE McGimpsey wrote:
One way:

With $100 in cell C3, in cell D3 enter

= C3 * 5%

(since $5 is 5% of $100, not 0.05%). Format cell D3 as currency.

I need step by step instructions on how to build a formula. Example:
Column "C", row 3.1 has $100 in it and I want a tax amount of .05 percent of
that $100 (which would be $5) to appear in Column "D" of that same line.

Thanks for the help....I tried =C3*5% and it worked but when I made an entry
of $50.00 in the next row (which would be row 4) the formula did not
calculate an amount in column "D".

IS THERE A WAY TO SAVE THE FORMULA IN COLUMN "C" SO IT WILL CALCULATE THE 5%
WHEN AN ENTRY IS MADE IN THE NEXT LINE (WHICH WOULD BE LINE 4)? In other
words, my page has 15 rows in it and every time I enter an amount in column
"C" in each of these 15 rows, I would want the formula of 5% to appear in
column "D".

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just copy the formula down from C3 as far as you wish.

Grab the fill handle of C3 and drag down.

The fill handle is the little blank lump you see at bottom right corner of the
cell.

Left-click on that and drag.

In case there are no numbers yet in column C enter this in D3.

=IF(ISNUMBER(C3),C3*5%,"")

You are still stating that .05 percent of 100 is 5 which is incorrect.

5% of 100 is 5

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 02:19:49 GMT, "poppiekat via OfficeKB.com" <u36195@uwe
wrote:

JE McGimpsey wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord Dibben wrote:
Just copy the formula down from C3 as far as you wish.

Grab the fill handle of C3 and drag down.

The fill handle is the little blank lump you see at bottom right corner of the
cell.

Left-click on that and drag.

In case there are no numbers yet in column C enter this in D3.

=IF(ISNUMBER(C3),C3*5%,"")

You are still stating that .05 percent of 100 is 5 which is incorrect.

5% of 100 is 5

One way:

[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]
"C" in each of these 15 rows, I would want the formula of 5% to appear in
column "D".

I did as instructed and it worked. Thanks 1,000,000!!! One thing I noticed
was that the $ sign and .00 cents do not show in column "C" when I type in 55.
00. However the cents .00 do show in column "D". How do I get the $ sign
and the .00 cents to appear in column "C" when I type it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way:

Select all of column C (or the cells in Column C where you're going to
be inputting your data). Format it the way you want with $ and fixed
decimal places.

In article <75e1a121aec7d@uwe,
"poppiekat via OfficeKB.com" <u36195@uwe wrote:

How do I get the $ sign and the .00 cents to appear in column "C"
when I type it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

JE McGimpsey wrote:
One way:

Select all of column C (or the cells in Column C where you're going to
be inputting your data). Format it the way you want with $ and fixed
decimal places.

How do I get the $ sign and the .00 cents to appear in column "C"
when I type it?

Could you please show me the exact formula I need to enter for doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

poppiekat wrote:
One way:

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
How do I get the $ sign and the .00 cents to appear in column "C"
when I type it?

Could you please show me the exact formula I need to enter for doing this?

Please ignore my ignorance.....I see now that you said "format" and I was so
frustrated after a long day of dealing with things that I could only read the
word "formula".

I formated the cells with currency $ and two digits .00 and everything is
working just fine.
Your're the greatest !!!