Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Speed and Excel Version

Hi,

I have a macro that was running in Excel 97 - we are updating to Excel 2003.
Should the speed of the macros increase at all. The macro basically did
some calculations on a Fund of money it used to take 30 minutes to run 1000
scenarios.

Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know that you'll experience any dramatic improvement in performance
on the same machine. I'm not sure of how much tweaking was done in the
calculation engine, or where, between '97 and 2003. If you're upgrading the
hardware also, you'll definitely see an improvement since the processor
speeds have increased dramatically from '97-2000 days in today's machines.

You'll find that hardware plays a lot in how fast Excel or many other
applications work. One of the least expensive upgrades to older systems is a
simple increase in physical memory (RAM). The more you can get into memory,
the less you have to rely on using the hard drive's swap file (virtual
memory), and since data access in memory is thousands of times faster than
accessing a hard drive, a distinct performance improvement can be had by
adding more physical memory - up to whatever your pocketbook and the system
can handle (with 3GB being a kind of upper limit due to certain BIOS/OS
limitations at times).

"Jeff" wrote:

Hi,

I have a macro that was running in Excel 97 - we are updating to Excel 2003.
Should the speed of the macros increase at all. The macro basically did
some calculations on a Fund of money it used to take 30 minutes to run 1000
scenarios.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The factors that will affect VBA performance include processor speed, RAM,
and efficiency of the code. Version of Excel between 97 and 2003 does not
seem to have much to do with it.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP