Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Settings for pop up alerts in excel

Our acct department has upgraded to 07. They are still keeping all files in
97-03 format. Most of their financial sheets are password protected or
encrypted. When you have a password or pretected sheet open in Excel 07 but
it is in 97-03 format, a pop up appears every time you try to save. THe
message says that the file is encrypted and or password protected and in an
older version of excel. It then goes on to say that Excel 07 offers better
encryption protection and do you want to convert this file to 07 format? the
choices are Yes or No and the Yes button is selected by default.

This message appears EVERY time you try to save these files. is there any
way to stop this message box from appearing? I have looked all over the
options but it seems that 07 has removed a lot of a users ability to
configure the software to meet their needs.

Any help would be great.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not sure, but the first thing that springs to mind is why you want to stay in
97-03 format?
One way of trying is to create a general xls macro in the
Workbook_BeforeSave where you can create something like:
Dim MySave As Boolean

If MySave = True Then Exit Sub
MySave = True
'this is needed as the save action below will restart the macro....

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
"filename", FileFormat:=xlExcel9795

MySave = False

End Sub

although I am not sure if that will take the messages away....

"Victor" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks. I will try that.
We need to stay with the older format since our company has 31 offices and
not all machines have gone to 07 yet and we also can not be sure that all of
our clients are using at least 2003 with service pack two. Honestly, if you
tell a client "you need to upgrade your software so you can work with us"
they might just up and leave to work with someone who wont demand they
upgrade their software. Its easier to just save in the old format.