Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EMG EMG is offline

Default Excel error with links - Excel 2007

We've been getting errors that say:

"Excel found unreadable content in 'xxxx_.xls.' Do you want to recover the
contents of this workbook? If you trust the source of this workbook, click
Yes."

Unfortunately if I click Yes, it hardcodes the file, and I lose the links.
It worked fine, but now with additional changes it won't allow me to open the
file with the proper links. Is there a limit on the amount of links we can
have on a worksheet? We don't think we had the same problem on the Excel
2003.

Also, when I to update links, the pop up window limits the amount of links I
can view.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've seen more than one person with this general type of complaint. I
haven't seen a definitive cause/cure. Although, my (often poor) memory tells
me that most of those complaints had to do with files with VBA code in them
and people are losing the code, although they may be losing other things also.

So I suppose the best advice I can give you at the moment is that when you
encounter such an error you choose [NO] to prevent the recovery process (I
believe that will leave the original untouched).

But to be safe, you should make backups of the .xls files prior to
attempting to open them with 2007 for now. At least you'll have those
originals with full functionality for use with an earlier version of Excel
(2003?).