Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default lookup only finds #n/a's

I just want to see if there is a match in column D with another sheet called
Port History somewhere in column K. An exact match would be helpful. I put
this formula in the last column AN. I'm just getting a bunch of #n/a's.
There should be some matches. What am I doing wrong.

=LOOKUP(D2,'[07-0714 98th Percentile.xls]Port History'!$K$2:$K$2880,1)

TIA,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
Try this:
=VLOOKUP(D2,'[07-0714 98th Percentile.xls]Port History'!$K$2:$K$2880,1,FALSE)
if you still get N/A your data is different hwever you see them the same for
example there maybe are some spaces behind or in front or a single quotention
if you send your data maybe i can find it.

Thanks,
--
Farhad Hodjat

"Janis" wrote:

I just want to see if there is a match in column D with another sheet called
Port History somewhere in column K. An exact match would be helpful. I put
this formula in the last column AN. I'm just getting a bunch of #n/a's.
There should be some matches. What am I doing wrong.

=LOOKUP(D2,'[07-0714 98th Percentile.xls]Port History'!$K$2:$K$2880,1)

TIA,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

FArhad:
This is killing me these lookups I have to turn these sheets into a db. To
make it simpler I tried a lookup instead of a vlookup since there is only
one column for the lookup table. I don't know what the vectorResult should
be???

I am in an active sheet column AN:2 doing this lookup. At least that is
where I want the results to go in each cell in column AN I will have the same
formula. In this column I just want a 1 or 0 whether the lookup hit a match.
So I want to lookup on this active sheet the match column is D2 and I want to
match it with the column K on the Port History sheet. I am getting all
#n/a's in column AN where I have my formula. Can you please help me again.
I have too much trouble with vlookup.