Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lists

Situation:

I am trying to put together a price sheet for interior doors that I sell. I
am trying to make it easy for some of the staff here to do with out alot of
manipulation to the sheet. I would like to use lists, so they can simply
point and click on drop down menus to pick the options for the doors and then
the pricing will be available.

For Example:
I have a list thats ranges from C4:C7 that contains door styles. I would
like to have cells C27:C36 fill with prices depending upon which door style
is selected. I have a table made with all the pricing listed.

Question:
How do I link the information from the table to the cell range by selecting
an item in the list, or am I trying to do the impossible?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

VLOOKUP formulas will pull the data to appropriate cells.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for more on VLOOKUP and Data
Validation lists for entering the choices.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

Note the section on using DV lists from another worksheet by naming the list.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:08:04 -0700, Damien
wrote:

Situation:

I am trying to put together a price sheet for interior doors that I sell. I
am trying to make it easy for some of the staff here to do with out alot of
manipulation to the sheet. I would like to use lists, so they can simply
point and click on drop down menus to pick the options for the doors and then
the pricing will be available.

For Example:
I have a list thats ranges from C4:C7 that contains door styles. I would
like to have cells C27:C36 fill with prices depending upon which door style
is selected. I have a table made with all the pricing listed.

Question:
How do I link the information from the table to the cell range by selecting
an item in the list, or am I trying to do the impossible?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry, but I have one more question. I am using the following formula:

=VLOOKUP((SUBTOTAL(109,C15:C16)), Prices, 2, FALSE)

By the way, my cell numbers have changed from the original post. I made a
list using two different doors in cells C15 and C16. I have referenced the
Pricing table of those two doors and named those cells Prices. From cells
A19:A24 I have the list of door sizes. So in B19 I used this formula to pull
the price of the door over to the coordinating size. However, whenever I
select either door from the list, I still get #N/A in B19. Can I use the
subtotal function like this, or is there another function I should be using?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Okay, so i am an idiot. I need a cell reference not a value there. Thats why
that is happening. Thanks for your time. I think I am just going to play with
it for a while and try to figure this out.