Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Registry setting for default document type?

Hi,

I am on a network with over 5,000 users. When they set us up, whoever
designed the system erroneously decided that we needed to use the default
file format that is backward compatible all the way to Office 95. This file
format causes HUGE file bloat (as much as 40x the normal file size!) I
believe I have finally gotten the attention of the right people; it will be
easy to fix the ghost image for future accounts but they are stymied as to
how to fix the 5,000 existing accounts in an automated way. Is there a
registry setting they can "reach out" and change to select regular Excel 2003
as the default document type?
--
Ann Scharpf
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When something other than the default file format is made the save default
it is saved in the registry for Excel 2003 he

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Options\DefaultFormat

Just deleting this entry will set Excel back to the normal format.

--
Jim