Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default open a file

Hi all,
When I click on a excel file to open it; it will open excel but will not
open the file itself, after excel opens I then have to go file and open the
file. Any suggestions on the problem? and how to fix this?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It may be a problem with the file type and the action to take when such file
is double-clicked.

Open My Computer, then go to the menu Tools Folder Options then the tab
File Types. Wait for the new list box "Registered File Typs" to be loaded,
then type on your keyboard the letters "x", "l" and "s" quickly to point to
this file association (if this does not work for you, use the "lift" on the
right to find xls). Now click the button Advanced, then on the new window
select Open and click on Edit. "Use DDE" should be checked, and the first
text box should contain "[open("%1")]" (without surrounding quotes). If not,
type it there and save everything.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP