Gordon

Valtam wrote:
My regional setting in Windows XP Home shows negative number format
to be in brackets yet the number format in Excel 2003 still does not
show the bracket option?

Have you tried the Custom format?

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Valtam

Default How do I get brackets around negative numbers?

My regional setting in Windows XP Home shows negative number format to be in
brackets yet the number format in Excel 2003 still does not show the bracket
option?
Dave Peterson

This is a windows setting.

Close excel

Change that windows regional setting|currency tab|Negative currency format
to show ($1.1)

Open excel

You may have to reformat:
Format|Cells|number tab|Number
(adjust the decimal places and comma options)

--

Dave Peterson
Gord Dibben

Valtam

Set Currency for brackets in Regional Settings. Number alone won't do the
trick.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:21:05 -0800, Valtam
wrote:

My regional setting in Windows XP Home shows negative number format to be in
brackets yet the number format in Excel 2003 still does not show the bracket
option?

Gordon

Gord Dibben wrote:
Valtam

Set Currency for brackets in Regional Settings. Number alone won't
do the trick.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Umm the OP said he'd already done that........

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gord Dibben

Gordon

Ummm. Re-read the original. Quoted below.

My regional setting in Windows XP Home shows negative number format to be in
brackets yet the number format in Excel 2003 still does not show the bracket
option?

I see no mention of the Currency Setting in Regional Options.

Other Gord

Gordon wrote:

Gord Dibben wrote:
Valtam

Set Currency for brackets in Regional Settings. Number alone won't
do the trick.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Umm the OP said he'd already done that........

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gordon

Gordon wrote:

Gord Dibben wrote:
Valtam

Set Currency for brackets in Regional Settings. Number alone won't
do the trick.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Umm the OP said he'd already done that........

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

So who introduced Currency? Not me!

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Valtam

I had only set the numbers to brackets. I had not even noticed the currency
tab. Have now set the currency tab to brackets and Excel is now working
exactly how I want. Many thanks to all who have responded to my question.

Gordon wrote:

Gord Dibben wrote:
Valtam

Set Currency for brackets in Regional Settings. Number alone won't
do the trick.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Umm the OP said he'd already done that........

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

So who introduced Currency? Not me!

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gord Dibben

Valtam

Glad you're sorted out.

It is not intuitive to go to the Currency Tab when you are thinking "numbers".

Has confused many and I assume will continue to do so until/unless the two are
tied together.

Gord