Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I highlite an entire row using conditional formatting?

I would like to have one cell I can enter an "X" into that would highlite the
entire row. I dont know if I have to use conditional formatting or if I have
to use a macro, but I am just needing a little guidance. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Select your row then

Format|conditional formatting, select formula is

paste this in
=$A1="x"
Choose a colour.

An X in a1 now shades the whole row.

Mike

"Damien" wrote:

I would like to have one cell I can enter an "X" into that would highlite the
entire row. I dont know if I have to use conditional formatting or if I have
to use a macro, but I am just needing a little guidance. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the entire row or range of cells in that row then FormatCFFormula is:
=$C1="x"

Format to a pattern and OK

If you select several rows you can do them all at once with the above.

Note the absolute reference to Column C($) and the relative reference to row 1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP