Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tim Tim is offline

Default Changing the number of the row

I want to the rows to start at 0 so I can have the default numbering match
the ip addresses of devices on my network Is this possible?

Ultimately I want the top row to be just headings like " Device, Make/Model,
Serial Number, etc. I just can't have it start at 1 because it takes my
192.168.1.1 address spot. So it doesn't have to be 0 for the first row, I'd
settle for a blank row, but I don't think that's possible. Any help is
appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You cannot re-number the rows.

You can simulate a re-numbering.

In A1 enter =ROW()-1 and drag/copy down.

Why do you have to have the row numbering changed to accommodate your IP
addresses?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:40:00 -0700, Tim wrote:

I want to the rows to start at 0 so I can have the default numbering match
the ip addresses of devices on my network Is this possible?

Ultimately I want the top row to be just headings like " Device, Make/Model,
Serial Number, etc. I just can't have it start at 1 because it takes my
192.168.1.1 address spot. So it doesn't have to be 0 for the first row, I'd
settle for a blank row, but I don't think that's possible. Any help is
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tim Tim is offline

I don't have to I thought it would be more convenient. If you are mapping
your network and want to put headings at the top row. On the left side the
numbers can increase with IP address.
1 = 192.168.1.1
2 = 192.168.1.2

but by adding headings it takes up row 1 thereby starting you at row 2 for
the first IP which would be 192.168.1.1. It's purpose is to eliminate writing
out all ip addresses. I can just skip the headings all together - the data
that is populating it is pretty self explanatory or I could just stop looking
for synergism between excel and my network map. Anyway you answered my
question it is not possible although the simulation was helpful. Thank you.