Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Eliminating Blanks in a Summary Sheet

I have created a worksheet that allows me to input various types of data,
which direct inputs the data to a Summary Sheet (separate tab). Is there a
way to have the Summary Sheet be more condensed by eliminating the blank
(empty) information from the Data sheet (not all of the data areas will be
filled in every time). Any help is appreciated!
Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In a column to the right of your data area (eg column H) in your
Summary sheet, you can have a simple formula which reproduces the
values you have elsewhere, e.g.:

=D5

(in H5) if that is where your data starts. The formula can be copied
down. Then highlight column H and Data | Filter | Autofilter (check)
to apply a filter to cover column H only. Then in the filter pull-down
select Custom | does not equal | 0 (zero) to hide the unnecessary
rows.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 23, 2:42 pm, thaenn wrote:
I have created a worksheet that allows me to input various types of data,
which direct inputs the data to a Summary Sheet (separate tab). Is there a
way to have the Summary Sheet be more condensed by eliminating the blank
(empty) information from the Data sheet (not all of the data areas will be
filled in every time). Any help is appreciated!
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Another approach is illustrated in this quick sample:
http://www.savefile.com/files/911334
Pull over only source lines with key col filled.xls

Assuming source table in cols A to C in sheet: Input,
with key col = col A, data running in row2 down

In sheet: Summary,
B1:D1 carries the same col headers as in A1:C1 in Input

In A2:
=IF(Input!A2="","",ROW())
Leave A1 blank

In B2:
=IF(ROWS($1:1)COUNT($A:$A),"",INDEX(Input!A:A,SMA LL($A:$A,ROWS($1:1))))
Copy B2 to D2. Select A2:D2, copy down to cover the max expected extent of
data in "Input". Hide away col A. Cols B to D returns the required results
from "Input", ie only lines from the source table where the key col A is
filled, with all lines neatly bunched at the top.
--
Max
Singapore
"thaenn" wrote:
I have created a worksheet that allows me to input various types of data,
which direct inputs the data to a Summary Sheet (separate tab). Is there a
way to have the Summary Sheet be more condensed by eliminating the blank
(empty) information from the Data sheet (not all of the data areas will be
filled in every time). Any help is appreciated!
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pete, your advice works, but not exactly what I am looking for...I guess that
I am looking for something more automatic (with formulas). Is there a way
(perhaps through the use of other worksheets) that this "summary" information
can be consolidated? Thanks

On Jul 23, 2:42 pm, thaenn wrote:
I have created a worksheet that allows me to input various types of data,
which direct inputs the data to a Summary Sheet (separate tab). Is there a
way to have the Summary Sheet be more condensed by eliminating the blank
(empty) information from the Data sheet (not all of the data areas will be
filled in every time). Any help is appreciated!
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Max:
I am somewhat confused by your formulas...
can you break it down (dumb it down) for me.
Thanks.

"thaenn" wrote:
I have created a worksheet that allows me to input various types of data,
which direct inputs the data to a Summary Sheet (separate tab). Is there a
way to have the Summary Sheet be more condensed by eliminating the blank
(empty) information from the Data sheet (not all of the data areas will be
filled in every time). Any help is appreciated!
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Does the sample illustrate what you have in mind?

In the sample, in sheet: Summary, only lines from the source table (in
sheet: Input) where the key col A is filled (ie col A is not left blank)
would be pulled over, with all lines neatly bunched at the top.

Play with the sample. If you delete the entries in Input's col A, the
associated lines will disappear from Summary. Conversely, if you key-in
something into Input's col A, then the associated line(s) will appear in
Summary.

Summary's col A formulae act as criteria to flag arb row numbers for lines
in Input which are not blank. The other formulas in Summary's cols B to D
then reads the criteria col A's flags to return the associated lines from
Input, neatly packing all these lines at the top w/o any in-between blank
lines.