Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Do I need a new PC? - Memory Error on 15000 lines of data

I am using 15000 lines of data over 20 columns. Then Im using
sumproduct to run several reports within tabs in the same workbook. My
computer gets real slow then on save, I cannot because of the memory
error.

So, do I need a new computer. I have 1gb of ram now with an Intel
Celeron processor at 1.8Mhz.

Is it ram, processor speed, dual core or all 3 that would fix this?

Any recommendations?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Lots of recommendations here from Charles Williams...
http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimitsc.htm
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"wx4usa"
wrote in message I am using 15000 lines of data over 20 columns. Then Im using
sumproduct to run several reports within tabs in the same workbook. My
computer gets real slow then on save, I cannot because of the memory
error.

So, do I need a new computer. I have 1gb of ram now with an Intel
Celeron processor at 1.8Mhz.

Is it ram, processor speed, dual core or all 3 that would fix this?

Any recommendations?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To actually test the physical RAM in the system, go to www.memtest.org and
download the file appropriate to your system -- one of the "Pre-Compiled
Bootable ISO" files should work for you if you've got a Windows based system.
Which depends on your uncompressing utility - if you don't have one, go to
www.winzip.com and download the trial copy and use it to uncompress the .zip
file. It will create a bootable medium for you, then you get your computer
to boot from that medium (may require a BIOS boot device change).

Run the test for as long as you can - it will run until you stop it. If
there are actual errors in the memory, it will find them and report them to
you. If it does, the fix is probably simple: replace the memory chip(s) with
the error(s).