RobShep

Default Colour of the Text in a drop box list I have ...

how do I change the colour of the text in a drop box list I have created
Can I also change the colour of the cell fro different words in the list
Debra Dalgleish

You can't format the items in a data validation dropdown list. You could
use conditional formatting to colour the cell, if there are only three
options. For more than three, you'd need to use programming to format
the cells.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Mike R

Debra
There must be a reason for not just formating the cell for the color
desired. I am assuming that it must be to combersom. Am I right? There must
be more here to see than I am able.

Mike R.

RobShep wrote:
how do I change the colour of the text in a drop box list I have created
Can I also change the colour of the cell fro different words in the list

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Debra Dalgleish

Mike,

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. If the data validation list is
High, Medium, Low, you could use conditional formatting to colour the
cell after one of the items is selected. High could be red, Medium could
be yellow, and Low could be green.

However, three is the maximum number of conditions for conditional
formatting. So, if your list has more than three items, you'd need a
different method of automatically colouring the cell based on the
selected item. You could use an event procedure to apply a colour
programmatically.

Debra

RobShep wrote:

how do I change the colour of the text in a drop box list I have created
Can I also change the colour of the cell fro different words in the list

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Mike R

Debra
Maybe I jumped to the conclusion that the op wanted the end result of the
selection to be colored. If that were the case couldn't they just format the
cell. I guess I don't see the value in coloring the list unless one wanted
the display to be that color. If that be the case formate the cell! Any
input (education) would be appreicated. And Debra, thanks for the reply
through anothers thread...

Mike R.

RobShep wrote:

how do I change the colour of the text in a drop box list I have created
Can I also change the colour of the cell fro different words in the list

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Debra Dalgleish

Mike,

I guess there are situations where it would be nice to have the list
items in different colours, to match other colour coding in the
worksheet. It might make it easier for people to select an item from a
long list.

But, since the font in the data validation list can't be formatted, the
best you could do is colour the cell after the selection has been made.
Or, create dependent validation lists, to limit the selections that are
available in the second list:

Debra

RobShep wrote:

how do I change the colour of the text in a drop box list I have created
Can I also change the colour of the cell fro different words in the list

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Mike R

Debra
Thanks for the reply. I did some playing today and found some places one
might want colored options. I am also finding that my limited sight
(insight) is very restrictive. As I learn more of what this program will do
I am amazed at my lack of imagination. With people like you that post
information and experience in this forum I hope to eventually become a
contributor. Kind of like paying for what I have recieved. Thanks again for
the insight!!

Mike R.

RobShep wrote:

how do I change the colour of the text in a drop box list I have created
Can I also change the colour of the cell fro different words in the list

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

RobShep

Thanks Debra, I obviously cant quickly coulour my option in the drop box, I
have 10 in my list, formatting the cells only formats the area the info for
the drop list is located and doesnt tranfer colouring to the list on the page
I Enter my Data
Thanks anyway
p.s i am only a part time user and programming is an area I am not skilled
cheers
Rob