Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Updating Source List

We are using Excel 2003. My spreadsheet is using a data validation list. If I
change an item in a data validation source list, the worksheet still shows
previously selected items. How can this be updated without manually going
back and re-selecting the new source data?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you saying that you want to change cells that previously had
aaa
bbb
because you changed the data validation list from aaa to bbb

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"irish2171" wrote in message
We are using Excel 2003. My spreadsheet is using a data validation list.
If I
change an item in a data validation source list, the worksheet still shows
previously selected items. How can this be updated without manually going
back and re-selecting the new source data?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

if something in the source list was titled johndoe and i changed it to read
johnd. anywhere there is a validation drop-down it still reads johndoe even
though i changed the source to read johnd.

"irish2171" wrote in message
We are using Excel 2003. My spreadsheet is using a data validation list.
If I
change an item in a data validation source list, the worksheet still shows
previously selected items. How can this be updated without manually going
back and re-selecting the new source data?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There's a sample file here that you could adapt to your workbook:

Under Data Validation, look for 'DV0022 - Update Validation Selections'

irish2171 wrote:
We are using Excel 2003. My spreadsheet is using a data validation list. If I
change an item in a data validation source list, the worksheet still shows
previously selected items. How can this be updated without manually going
back and re-selecting the new source data?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

debra......thank you for that. i downloaded it, and i see how it works. how
do get that macro into my existing spreadsheet? or can i? i'm not an
advanced user and don't use many macros, and even fewer codes.

irish2171 wrote:
We are using Excel 2003. My spreadsheet is using a data validation list. If I
change an item in a data validation source list, the worksheet still shows
previously selected items. How can this be updated without manually going
back and re-selecting the new source data?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this on a copy of your workbook:

In the sample file, right-click on the Lists worksheet tab, and choose
View Code
Copy the code
Go to your workbook, right-click on the sheet tab where your list is
stored, and choose View Code.
Paste the code there.
In the code, change the sheet names and the range name for the list, to
match the names in your workbook.
The code replaces values in column B on the Data sheet, and you should
change that if your data validation is in a different column.