Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Compare Two Excel Workbooks & Display Discrepancies

Hi Guys!

I need some help with something in Excel.

I would like to know how I can run a macro to compare two excel workbooks
and show any discrepancies between the two.

The two workbooks contain a list of Surname & Date of Birth for a number of
people and in an ideal world will be the same. I need to know, however, which
people are included in Workbook 1 and not 2, and vice verca.

If anyone can assist with this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave Hunter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

There is one more possible way of comparing Microsoft Workbook side-by-side
without macro, which I am reproducing from the on-line help of Microsoft
Excel 2003.

Compare workbooks side by side

1. Open the workbooks you want to compare side by side.
2. On the Window menu, click Compare Side by Side with.
3. On the Compare Side by Side toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and
options that you use to carry out commands.

To display a toolbar, click Customize on the Tools menu, and then click the
Toolbars tab.), do any of the following:

a. If you want to scroll through the workbooks at the same time, click
Synchronous Scrolling .

b. If you want to reset the workbook windows to the positions they were in
when you first started comparing workbooks, click Reset Window Position.

4. Click Close Side by Side to stop comparing workbooks.

Note If you open two workbooks, the command on the Window menu will include
the filename of one of those workbooks. For example, you open "workbook1.xls"
and "workbook2.xls". While viewing "workbook1.xls", the Window menu shows the
command as Compare Side by Side with workbook2.xls.

Tip

If you've closed the Compare Side by Side toolbar but you want to show it
again, click Customize on the Tools menu, click the Toolbars tab, and then
select Compare Side by Side in the Toolbars list.

Challa Prabhu

"Dave" wrote:

Hi Guys!

I need some help with something in Excel.

I would like to know how I can run a macro to compare two excel workbooks
and show any discrepancies between the two.

The two workbooks contain a list of Surname & Date of Birth for a number of
people and in an ideal world will be the same. I need to know, however, which
people are included in Workbook 1 and not 2, and vice verca.

If anyone can assist with this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave Hunter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Challa,

But thats not quite what I'm after. Basically I want a macro that will
compare Workbook1 and Workbook2, Remove Any Rows that are the same, and keep
any rows that only exist in one workbook or the other.

Thanks!
Dave