Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default formula for database search - is it possible?

I have a huge database and know there are many dups in it.

Is there an Excel formula (or any other easy way) to find the dup addresses?

What I am trying to do in the following example is look for every address on
the same street name regarding of the additional information in the cell.

123 Main
123 E Main
123 Main Street
123 Main St
123 Main Ave

Is it possible include the ability to pull out the entire row and place it
elsewhere?

Many years ago when I was using a Mac I was able to go to the end of the
database and sent up a location for the data and then do some kind of search
to pull only the matching items and list them below in order to do a print
merge. Never been able to figure out how to do this in the IBM-compatible
software.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

check advanced filter
and in criteria =not(iserror(search("Main",text))

"sos-DC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I get an error message and find the the word t'

text

at the end of the formula is highlighted.

What am I doing wrong? I tried the formula three (3) times to make certain
it was not simply a typing error on my part.

"sos-DC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

if you have three columns in columns A,B and C 100 rows long
name, address, place that you want to filter

in another location, (say E1)copy the three column names and just to the
left of them add a cell enter for example "exact"
in the cell below "exact"
enter

=NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH("main",B2)))
in data-filter advanced filter
list range = A1:c100
Criteria Range =E1:H2 (including the two new cells)

select copy to another location
select location and run.

I appologize for being sloppy in my first response, i should have indicated
that it was the text in the first address cell

"sos-DC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You can use Advanced Filter. Please go through the Advanced filter section
in on-line filter.

Note: You can extract data by specifying crtieria for each field in a record
on combination of criteraia.

Challa Prabhu

"sos-DC" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If I had 30 columns of information for each row but only wanted some of the
columns without blank cells, can it be done?

Example - I only need the rows with Code "A" and only need the name and
address fields
Col. A - FirstName
Col. B - LastName
Col. C - Street
Col. D - City
Col. E - State
Col. F - Zip
Col. AD - Code

I want the information to appear in consecutive cells