Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Converting database generated report to raw data

I have a report in the format of:

Animal (1st level Category)
Mammal (2nd level Category)
Human (3rd level Category)
entries....
entries....
entries....
Human Total

Apes
entries...
entries...
Apes Total

Mammal Total

How can I convert all 3 levels category back to the entries like column A
shows Animal (1st level), column B shows (2nd level) and column C shows (3rd
level) and delete all those total for ease of vlookup?

Thanks in Advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is this an Excel question or an Access question? If an Excel question, then
a little more information as to what the data looks like in Excel, and what
you mean by "raw data".

"Thomas" wrote:

I have a report in the format of:

Animal (1st level Category)
Mammal (2nd level Category)
Human (3rd level Category)
entries....
entries....
entries....
Human Total

Apes
entries...
entries...
Apes Total

Mammal Total

How can I convert all 3 levels category back to the entries like column
shows Animal (1st level), column B shows (2nd level) and column C shows
(3rd
level) and delete all those total for ease of vlookup?

Thanks in Advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Latham,

This is an excel question. My company have crystal report run SQL and
generated a report in excel format. The file contains:

Column A Column B Column C
Animal (// In bold format, which is the 1st level Category of below data)
Mammal (// In bold format, which is the 2nd level Category of below data)
Human (// In bold format, which is the 3rd level Category of below data)
US People Male 200000
US People Female 210000
Canada People Male 150000
Canada People Female 140000
Human Total (// In bold format, which states the end of 1 of the 3rd level
Category of data)

Mouse (// in bold too, under 2nd Mammal, start)
England Mouse Male 100000000
England Mouse Female 200000000
Mouse Total (// In bold, closing Mouse category)

Mammals Total (//In bold, closing mammal 2nd category)

Animal Total (// in bold, closing animal 1st category)

I need to find some method who could give me to "insert" back the category
name into the entries like:
Animal Mammal Human US People Male 200000
on the same row so that I could easily doing some vlookups.

All the categories are no more than 3 levels. But the data are in tonnes,
making hand-by-hand doing this is no easy (awful) task.

I hope you or someone who could really help me out in this hell situation.

Thanks a lot