Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default File In Use error

We have a dir on our server (windows2003 sb).
It holds a bunch of Excel files that are used by the company.

Now many people use these files.

Christina is trying to open the file "MGMA special 070307.xls" but she gets
the error
"MGMA special 070307.xls is locked for editing by Christina"???????

No one else was in the file at the time Christina is trying to open it.

1) She can open it in read only mode.
2) She did make a copy of it.
3) She can NOT delete the orginial file. File in use error.

Any suggestion on how to remove the read only or at least how to delete the
file?

Scott Burke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This problem occurs many a times. I think this should work-

1. close all your applications
2. Restart the terminal
3. Make sure that Christina is not logged in anywhere on the network
4. Christina logs in
5. Before opening any Office application delete the old file.

Otherwise, the file can alos be delete by the Network Admin.

Pranav Vaidya
VBA Developer
PN, MH-India

"Scott Burke" wrote:

We have a dir on our server (windows2003 sb).
It holds a bunch of Excel files that are used by the company.

Now many people use these files.

Christina is trying to open the file "MGMA special 070307.xls" but she gets
the error
"MGMA special 070307.xls is locked for editing by Christina"???????

No one else was in the file at the time Christina is trying to open it.

1) She can open it in read only mode.
2) She did make a copy of it.
3) She can NOT delete the orginial file. File in use error.

Any suggestion on how to remove the read only or at least how to delete the
file?

Scott Burke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good try but it did not work.
Now an other file is behaving the same way.?.

This is begining to look like the Server is having the problem.

IS there a way to get a list of users and what files they currently have open?
Windows 2003 SB. with SP2

Thanks
Scott Burke

"Scott Burke" wrote:

We have a dir on our server (windows2003 sb).
It holds a bunch of Excel files that are used by the company.

Now many people use these files.

Christina is trying to open the file "MGMA special 070307.xls" but she gets
the error
"MGMA special 070307.xls is locked for editing by Christina"???????

No one else was in the file at the time Christina is trying to open it.

1) She can open it in read only mode.
2) She did make a copy of it.
3) She can NOT delete the orginial file. File in use error.

Any suggestion on how to remove the read only or at least how to delete the
file?

Scott Burke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If that file were on a local harddrive, I'd try this:
http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly

Clear out c:\windows\temp directory on the machine that houses the files, then
reboot.

It might worth the try even with the file on the server.

Sometimes rebooting that server will release the file.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK.
More information.

I rebooted the server. The lockes were released. However, The First person
in the files lockes that file. When they leave the file stays locked.

The OS will NOT release the locks.

Any Ideals
Scott Burke