Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel removes first zero in some cells but not all cells

I have created a contact sheet, but not all of the cells will display the
first zero of the phone number. Cells are all set the same, General Number.
Can any one help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As a guess some of your numbers are actually text and some are numbers. The
ones that are text will probably have a ' at the front of them. You probably
want to convert them all to a single data type, either text of number.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Michael" wrote:

I have created a contact sheet, but not all of the cells will display the
first zero of the phone number. Cells are all set the same, General Number.
Can any one help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello Jim
Thank you for the prompt reply, that does not solve the problem, I had
already checked for that. In the cell formatting it does not matter if I
choose Number or General, the result is the same. I can see the first zero
entered followed by the rest of the numbers, but when I press enter to
confirm the entry excel removes the first zero, it is not hidden as the
number displayed at the cell entry box at the top of the work sheet clearly
shows the zero removed. You are correct, if I change the cell format to
Text, the zero is retained, but I want to convert this spreadsheet to an
access table when it is finished, therfore do not want to confuse text and
number cells.