Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default change column width

When I change the column width to 7.4, Excel changes to column width
to 7.43. When I change the column width to 7.5, Excel changes the
column width to 7.57.

How do I change the column width to the value I select?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Please go through the following section:
1. Measurement units and rulers in Excel
2. Change the column width and row height

Section: 1 Measurement units and rulers in Excel

Unlike Microsoft Word, Excel does not provide a horizontal or vertical
ruler, and there is no quick way to measure the width or height of a
worksheet in inches. Excel uses characters, points, and pixels as units of
measurement.

The width of cells is displayed in characters and pixels rather than in
inches. When you drag the boundary of a column heading to adjust the width of
a column on the worksheet, a ScreenTip displays the width in characters and
shows pixels in parentheses.

The height of cells is displayed in points and pixels rather than in inches.
When you drag the boundary of a row heading to adjust the height of a row on
the worksheet, a ScreenTip displays the height in points and shows pixels in
parentheses.

An approximate conversion of points and pixels to inches is shown in the
following table.

Points Pixels Inches
18 24 .25
36 48 .5
72 96 1
108 144 1.5
144 192 2

Section 2: Change the column width and row height

On a worksheet, you can specify a column width of 0 (zero) to 255. This
value represents the number of characters that can be displayed in a cell
that is formatted with the standard font (standard font: The default text
font for worksheets. The standard font determines the default font for the
Normal cell style.). If the column width is set to 0, the column is hidden.

You can specify a row height of 0 (zero) to 409. This value represents the
height measurement in points (1 point equals approximately 1/72 inch). If the
row height is set to 0, the row is hidden.

Challa Prabhu