Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default vlookup results in 0

excel 2007
I am using the vlookup formula to find a number. I think that I have
entered it correctly since the formula result, in formula arguments dialog,
is the proper number i need but it displays 0 in the cell. Any help is
appreciated.

Thank you,
sveazie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=VLOOKUP(B2,'PERSONNEL REQUIREMENTS '!A3:D102,4)
lookup_value: b2 is a percentage
tab_array: is a range of cells to tell me how many employees i need based on
that percentage
col_index_num: is 4 since the number I need is in that column

as stated the formula result in the function arguments box gives the correct
number i need but after i hit enter the cell displays 0 and i cannot figure
out why. not sure if it is that the cell is formatted wrong or maybe just a
bug in office 2007.

thank you,
sveazie

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Post your formula, together with a bit more explanation about the
layout of your data.

Pete

On Jul 16, 6:52 pm, sveazie wrote:
excel 2007
I am using the vlookup formula to find a number. I think that I have
entered it correctly since the formula result, in formula arguments dialog,
is the proper number i need but it displays 0 in the cell. Any help is
appreciated.

Thank you,
sveazie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is a 4th optional parameter for VLOOKUP, which can be set to
TRUE or FALSE (or 1 or 0) - if omitted it defaults to TRUE, which
means that the lookup table is deemed to be sorted. If the data is not
in order and you want to get an exact match then you should add a
fourth parameter like so:

=VLOOKUP(B2,'PERSONNEL REQUIREMENTS '!A3:D102,4,0)

Hope this helps.

Pete

"Pete_UK" wrote:
Post your formula, together with a bit more explanation about the
layout of your data.

Pete

On Jul 16, 6:52 pm, sveazie wrote:
excel 2007
I am using the vlookup formula to find a number. I think that I have
entered it correctly since the formula result, in formula arguments dialog,
is the proper number i need but it displays 0 in the cell. Any help is
appreciated.

Thank you,
sveazie- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Pete, but apparently I had a circular reference since I had to change
my table array from descending to ascending. I recalculated the array and it
palyed nice again. Thank you for input.