Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculation Error

I have a formula that won't give the right answer. I have tried pretty much
everything that I can think of. From the Tools drop down, the Alt F9. Here
is my formula: =PRODUCT(K15*3784). I'm not sure if it might have something
to do with the fact that K15 also has a formula in it. Could you help me
with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried that and still came up with the wrong answer. The answer should be
297,072, and I'm getting 297,083.

"Monish" wrote:

replace "*" with ","

"Dawn" wrote:

I have a formula that won't give the right answer. I have tried pretty much
everything that I can think of. From the Tools drop down, the Alt F9. Here
is my formula: =PRODUCT(K15*3784). I'm not sure if it might have something
to do with the fact that K15 also has a formula in it. Could you help me
with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dawn,

As you said that the value in K15 is the result of a formula I would imagine
that the answer you are getting is the result of a rounding error. I would
guess that the value that you want to use is: 78.50739958 but you actually
have 78.5103065539112 in the cell.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Dawn" wrote in message
I tried that and still came up with the wrong answer. The answer should be
297,072, and I'm getting 297,083.

"Monish" wrote:

replace "*" with ","

"Dawn" wrote:

I have a formula that won't give the right answer. I have tried pretty
much
everything that I can think of. From the Tools drop down, the Alt F9.
Here
is my formula: =PRODUCT(K15*3784). I'm not sure if it might have
something
to do with the fact that K15 also has a formula in it. Could you help
me
with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could use this formula:

=k15*3784

But you'll want to select K15,
hit F2, then F9 and note what's in the formula bar
then hit the escape key to revert back to the formula.
(Or hit edit|Undo if you hit enter.)

And do make sure that calculation is set to automatic
(tools|Options|calculation tab)

Dawn wrote:

I have a formula that won't give the right answer. I have tried pretty much
everything that I can think of. From the Tools drop down, the Alt F9. Here
is my formula: =PRODUCT(K15*3784). I'm not sure if it might have something
to do with the fact that K15 also has a formula in it. Could you help me
with this?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

so your problem is not with this formula but rather with the one in K15...the
difference appears to be a rounding issue (K15 changes from 78.507 to 78.51
to give you 297,083 instead of 297,702)

"Dawn" wrote:

I tried that and still came up with the wrong answer. The answer should be
297,072, and I'm getting 297,083.

"Monish" wrote:

replace "*" with ","

"Dawn" wrote:

I have a formula that won't give the right answer. I have tried pretty much
everything that I can think of. From the Tools drop down, the Alt F9. Here
is my formula: =PRODUCT(K15*3784). I'm not sure if it might have something
to do with the fact that K15 also has a formula in it. Could you help me
with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not sure, if I pull the decimal out to 4 spaces, the number in K15 is
78.5104, which is correct for the problem.

"Dawn" wrote:

I tried that and still came up with the wrong answer. The answer should be
297,072, and I'm getting 297,083.

"Monish" wrote:

replace "*" with ","

"Dawn" wrote:

I have a formula that won't give the right answer. I have tried pretty much
everything that I can think of. From the Tools drop down, the Alt F9. Here
is my formula: =PRODUCT(K15*3784). I'm not sure if it might have something
to do with the fact that K15 also has a formula in it. Could you help me
with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ok, so if 78.5104 is correct for your stiuation, then you are correctly
getting 297,083.
This would mean that perhaps the problem is in how you came up with
3,784...was that rounded perhaps? there is a difference between 3,783.995
and 3783.855...I would check the source for this number

"Dawn" wrote:

I tried that and still came up with the wrong answer. The answer should be
297,072, and I'm getting 297,083.

"Monish" wrote:

replace "*" with ","