Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Text to Column

Good day,

Situation:
I "copy to clipboard" a table of 10 rows and 6 columns from a program other
than Excel and then come in Excel to paste it, the paste format is not always
the same and I cannot understand why.

Sometimes, the information will paste as 10 rows and 6 columns (the way I
want it)

Sometimes, the information will paste as 10 rows and one column and then I
have to use the medu Data / Text to columns... to display the information
correctly.

What cause Excel to display the paste info the way it was copied or to paste
it in the condensed form (one column only)? I have tested the same
conditions many times and was unsuccesful obtaining consisten results.

The problem:
Macro development is more difficult as paste to Excel is not consistent

--
Thanks
Sebastien
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel likes to help.

If you've run a data|Text to column in that excel session, then excel will use
the same rules that you used when you paste your data.

One way around this is to close excel and reopen it. (Excel forgets your
settings when you close it.)

Another way is to run a "dummy" data|text to columns.
Select an empty cell
put something in it
data|text to columns|delimited
but remove all the check marks
finish up
Clean up that cell.

Then excel will paste into one column.

=========
But I've found that if I'm doing lots of repetitive stuff, I like when excel
helps.

Sebastien wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson