Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default calculating a sum from cells that contain letters and numbers

I continually evaluate data that comes in this form:

<"number" "text" ex. - < 0.3 U

I need a way to obtain the total while keeping the less than symbol and text
in the final result. Please note that the symbol and the text never changes
for a given data set. The data set tends to be upwards of 100 cells.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

if is always a "< " in front and a " U" in back
set up a helper column with
=value(left(right(entry,Len(entry)-2),len(entry)-4))
sum this column

"Gerry" wrote:

I continually evaluate data that comes in this form:

<"number" "text" ex. - < 0.3 U

I need a way to obtain the total while keeping the less than symbol and text
in the final result. Please note that the symbol and the text never changes
for a given data set. The data set tends to be upwards of 100 cells.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

ASAP Utilities, a free add-in available at www.asap-utilities.com has a
feature that will delete all alpha characters from the selection.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Gerry" wrote:

I continually evaluate data that comes in this form:

<"number" "text" ex. - < 0.3 U

I need a way to obtain the total while keeping the less than symbol and text
in the final result. Please note that the symbol and the text never changes
for a given data set. The data set tends to be upwards of 100 cells.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If it is always < and U then you can use

=SUMPRODUCT(--(0&TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1:A10,"<",""),"U"," "))))

to sum A1:A10 for instance, then just use a custom format like "< "0.00" U"

in the cell with the formula

Peo Sjoblom

"Gerry" wrote in message
I continually evaluate data that comes in this form:

<"number" "text" ex. - < 0.3 U

I need a way to obtain the total while keeping the less than symbol and
text
in the final result. Please note that the symbol and the text never
changes
for a given data set. The data set tends to be upwards of 100 cells.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=SUM(--MID(A1:A100,3,LEN(A1:A100)-4))
or
=SUM(--SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1:A100,"< ","")," U",""))

In each case, array entered (Control Shift Enter) .
--
David Biddulph