Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default calculating a sum from cells that contain letters and numbers

If it is always < and U then you can use

=SUMPRODUCT(--(0&TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1:A10,"<",""),"U"," "))))

to sum A1:A10 for instance, then just use a custom format like "< "0.00" U"

in the cell with the formula

Peo Sjoblom

"Gerry" wrote in message
I continually evaluate data that comes in this form:

<"number" "text" ex. - < 0.3 U

I need a way to obtain the total while keeping the less than symbol and
text
in the final result. Please note that the symbol and the text never
changes
for a given data set. The data set tends to be upwards of 100 cells.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.