Tom Hewitt

Default Changing password protection on sheets

Hi,

Just a quick query. I have a 60 odd sheet excel sheet with individual
passwords on each sheet, that need changing, each password is the same on
each sheet. Is there a way to change all the passwords at once. Or will
password protecting the whole workbook after unprotecting do that same job.
Each sheet has locked and unlocked cells so only people who know the password
can change the locked sections.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Cheers
tom
Dave Peterson

You could use a macro that cycles through all 60 sheets. J.E. McGimpsey shares
one at:

http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/subs/prot...ed_sheets.html

And workbook protection is different than worksheet protection. Workbook
protection allows you to protect the structure of your workbook (disallowing
moving/inserting/deleting/renaming sheets). It also allows you to protect the
windows layout (no maximizing/minimizing/resizing).

--

Dave Peterson
Tom Hewitt

Thanks for you gelp Dave, Your answer has worked a treat. However i new
problem has occured, the file seems to remember the old password, and unlocks
with it, this is a problem as the reason for the change is someone found out
the password, not much use if they can still use that?

any ideas?

Tom Hewitt

Tom Hewitt wrote:

Hi,

Just a quick query. I have a 60 odd sheet excel sheet with individual
passwords on each sheet, that need changing, each password is the same on
each sheet. Is there a way to change all the passwords at once. Or will
password protecting the whole workbook after unprotecting do that same job.
Each sheet has locked and unlocked cells so only people who know the password
can change the locked sections.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Cheers
tom

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I've never seen that happen (although it could be a highly unusual coincidence).

JE McGimpsey has notes about how passwords work at:
http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

But I wouldn't guess it applies to your situation. I'd guess that the passwords
weren't changed (just my guess).

Tom Hewitt wrote:

Hi,

Just a quick query. I have a 60 odd sheet excel sheet with individual
passwords on each sheet, that need changing, each password is the same on
each sheet. Is there a way to change all the passwords at once. Or will
password protecting the whole workbook after unprotecting do that same job.
Each sheet has locked and unlocked cells so only people who know the password
can change the locked sections.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Cheers
tom

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Tom Hewitt

That was my orginial thought. However I've changed a whole file by hand and
its 100% the new password, as this password will unlock the sheets. But the
old one works to.

Any other ideas would be appreacited.

cheers
Tom Hewitt

Tom Hewitt wrote:

Hi,

Just a quick query. I have a 60 odd sheet excel sheet with individual
passwords on each sheet, that need changing, each password is the same on
each sheet. Is there a way to change all the passwords at once. Or will
password protecting the whole workbook after unprotecting do that same job.
Each sheet has locked and unlocked cells so only people who know the password
can change the locked sections.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Cheers
tom

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Arun

Usually when i have Multiple sheets and there are vba codes that manipulate
these sheets. During the file save event, I put in a piece of code that
protects all the sheets with password. Check if this is a possibility.