Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Alt+Enter gives me 1 too many lines

When I use Alt+Enter to add a second line in a cell, sometimes I will also
end up with a third, blank line. No matter what I do, I cannot get rid of
this third, blank line. Any suggestions? And how can I avoid inadvertently
adding that extra line in the first place? (I am using Excel 2000 and 2002).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ed ed is offline

On Jul 9, 8:52 pm, roman wrote:
When I use Alt+Enter to add a second line in a cell, sometimes I will also
end up with a third, blank line. No matter what I do, I cannot get rid of
this third, blank line. Any suggestions? And how can I avoid inadvertently
adding that extra line in the first place? (I am using Excel 2000 and 2002).

You can't get rid of it because there's nothing there. The cell is
virtually unlimited in height so you could probably type 50 lines in
the cell, and there would always be a blank line after the last one
you typed, or even 48 blank lines. Alternatively, you could reduce
the height of the cell so only 2 lines fit. Then there wouldn't be a
blank line, or at least you wouldn't see a third line.

Alt-enter isn't adding a line, it is a carriage return to start a new
line of type instead of continuing the line you're typing. So as you
add lines you are just using up the potential blank lines available
and increasing the height of the cell.

ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'd try widening that column just a hair.

Then autofit the row.

The bad news is that you could fix this one cell, but cause trouble for other
cells in that column.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Alt+Enter is similar to paragraph mark. It is a forced return which
specifies a line feed -a complete sentence. It is not equal to Shif+Enter.

Challa Rabhu