Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default STILL Having VBA Problems!!!!!!!

I posted something on here yesterday, and I got very good responses. However,
after I implemented each suggestion into VBA the macro worked only about 10
times. After that it came up with an error that said the worksheet could not
be copied...or something like that. This is what my code for that section
looks like...

This is at the beginning of my macro...what I need to do is copy a
worksheet. That's all I need to do...and it won't work...ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Sheets("201").Copy After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)
Sheets(Sheets.Count).Name = InputBox("Enter the number of the new
distributor.")

Thanks,
Elise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Elise,

There was in earlier versions of Excel a problem with code names for sheets that happened
after several copies. The code names got longer as you copied sheets. I don't recall which
release had it, but I think it's been fixed. Take a look at the code names in the sheets
in the VBE Project Explorer. If you see long strings of characters, I think that's it.
Nowadays, the sheet's code names are Sheet1, Sheet2, etc. The code names are not accessible
via VBA, and they aren't the same as the names we give them. If this is the case, you might
need to make your copies from a master, and don't copy copies of copies, etc. Or maybe
check the knowledge base at microsoft.com.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Note: Top-posting has been the norm here.
Some folks prefer bottom-posting.
But if you bottom-post to a reply that's
already top-posted, the thread gets messy.
When in Rome...
"Elise148" wrote in message
I posted something on here yesterday, and I got very good responses. However,
after I implemented each suggestion into VBA the macro worked only about 10
times. After that it came up with an error that said the worksheet could not
be copied...or something like that. This is what my code for that section
looks like...

This is at the beginning of my macro...what I need to do is copy a
worksheet. That's all I need to do...and it won't work...ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Sheets("201").Copy After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)
Sheets(Sheets.Count).Name = InputBox("Enter the number of the new
distributor.")

Thanks,
Elise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Elise,

That is a problem with the codename of the sheet becoming too long.

Try

Dim myName As String
Dim mySht As Worksheet

myName = InputBox("Enter the number of the new distributor.")
Sheets("201").Copy After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)
Set mySht = Sheets(Sheets.Count)
mySht.Name = myName

mySht.Parent.VBProject.VBComponents(mySht.CodeName ) _
..Properties("_CodeName") = "sht" & Application.Proper(Replace(myName, " ", ""))

This will require a reference to the MS VBA extensibility.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Elise148" wrote in message
I posted something on here yesterday, and I got very good responses. However,
after I implemented each suggestion into VBA the macro worked only about 10
times. After that it came up with an error that said the worksheet could not
be copied...or something like that. This is what my code for that section
looks like...

This is at the beginning of my macro...what I need to do is copy a
worksheet. That's all I need to do...and it won't work...ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Sheets("201").Copy After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)
Sheets(Sheets.Count).Name = InputBox("Enter the number of the new
distributor.")

Thanks,
Elise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The error comes up before I can enter a name in the Input Box, and before
when it was working, I was entering differnet names - they were no worksheet
names that were the same. No invalid characters either.

The error lies in the first section of the code I listed below. It's a 1004
error. I looked up information about it, and then I added a save feature in
the macro. I closed the workbook. Nothing - it still wouldn't work...

"Elise148" wrote in message
I posted something on here yesterday, and I got very good responses.
However,
after I implemented each suggestion into VBA the macro worked only about
10
times. After that it came up with an error that said the worksheet could
not
be copied...or something like that. This is what my code for that section
looks like...

This is at the beginning of my macro...what I need to do is copy a
worksheet. That's all I need to do...and it won't work...ANY
SUGGESTIONS???

Sheets("201").Copy After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)
Sheets(Sheets.Count).Name = InputBox("Enter the number of the new
distributor.")

Thanks,
Elise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried that, and it has worked for the last few times I've run it. Is there
something in the code below that brings up a box to connect to a link? I'm so
confused because now it's bringing up a dialog box that tells the macro to
draw a number from another workbook. It's never done this before...any ideas?

Also, what does the "Dim" mean?

"Elise148" wrote in message
I posted something on here yesterday, and I got very good responses. However,
after I implemented each suggestion into VBA the macro worked only about 10
times. After that it came up with an error that said the worksheet could not
be copied...or something like that. This is what my code for that section
looks like...

This is at the beginning of my macro...what I need to do is copy a
worksheet. That's all I need to do...and it won't work...ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Sheets("201").Copy After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)
Sheets(Sheets.Count).Name = InputBox("Enter the number of the new
distributor.")

Thanks,
Elise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Elise,

Is there something in the code below that brings up a box to connect to a link? I'm so
confused because now it's bringing up a dialog box that tells the macro to
draw a number from another workbook. It's never done this before...any ideas?

It should just ask for the new number - as a string, no link. Worked for me each time.

Also, what does the "Dim" mean?

Dim is a dimensioning statement, which tells the VBA what type of variable you want to use. In this
case, it is saying that myName should be a string, which prevents some autoconversion from happening
when you type a number into the inputbox.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP