Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Is there a limit on characters allowed

Is there a limit on characters allowed in a cell? when using a pivot report?
Can that limit be changed?

--
thank you, Lorie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Jul 3, 10:58 pm, Lorie wrote:
Is there a limit on characters allowed in a cell? when using a pivot report?
Can that limit be changed?

--
thank you, Lorie

Hi Lorie

32,000 characters in a cell with Excel up to version 2003. Not sure
about pivot table cells, but would expect them to be the same.

Excel 2007 holds more per cell, but I could be wrong :-)

Cheers
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are asking 2 questions. Dave answered one part of it, 32000 characters
can be entered in a cell BUT only 1024 will display, now that can be
overcome by using a lot of alt + enters but how much it can be overcome I
don't know.. If by any chance I would need to put a large piece of text in
Excel I use a text box

Data and page fields in a pivot table is 256 characters
row and column fields limited by available memory

if you use help and type "specifications" you can see for yourself

Peo Sjoblom