Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Splitting a delimited text

Hello again.

I have a cell with data, delimited by a comma. The data is text.
I need to get this data split into individual cells. Any neat way to
do this automated?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is a text to columns feature available.

Make sure the columns to the immediate right are empty. Any data in them
will be overwritten.

Select the cells in question
Goto the menu DataText to Columns
DelimitedNext
CommaFinish

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"atledreier" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello again.

I have a cell with data, delimited by a comma. The data is text.
I need to get this data split into individual cells. Any neat way to
do this automated?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am aware of the 'Text to columns' wizard. I was hoping to automate
this, though. Thanks anyway. :o)

- Atle

On Jul 2, 7:49 am, "T. Valko" wrote:
There is a text to columns feature available.

Make sure the columns to the immediate right are empty. Any data in them
will be overwritten.

Select the cells in question
Goto the menu DataText to Columns
DelimitedNext
CommaFinish

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"atledreier" wrote in message

ups.com...

Hello again.

I have a cell with data, delimited by a comma. The data is text.
I need to get this data split into individual cells. Any neat way to
do this automated?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 23:26:54 -0700, atledreier wrote:

I am aware of the 'Text to columns' wizard. I was hoping to automate
this, though. Thanks anyway. :o)

- Atle

What would an "automated" process look like, to you?
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I need my users to enter delimited data in a cell, and be able to
split this data in another workbook, to ease printing and searching.
The data does not have a set format. As a workaround I have set a
range of columns that the user enter the data in individual cells
manually, but that hurts the user's readability while entering and
editing the data.

On Jul 2, 1:10 pm, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 23:26:54 -0700, atledreier wrote:
I am aware of the 'Text to columns' wizard. I was hoping to automate
this, though. Thanks anyway. :o)

- Atle

What would an "automated" process look like, to you?
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 00:46:49 -0700, atledreier wrote:

I need my users to enter delimited data in a cell, and be able to
split this data in another workbook, to ease printing and searching.
The data does not have a set format. As a workaround I have set a
range of columns that the user enter the data in individual cells
manually, but that hurts the user's readability while entering and
editing the data.

On Jul 2, 1:10 pm, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 23:26:54 -0700, atledreier wrote:
I am aware of the 'Text to columns' wizard. I was hoping to automate
this, though. Thanks anyway. :o)

- Atle

What would an "automated" process look like, to you?
--ron

Seems to me you could record a macro that

Copies the user entered data
Pastes it into an existing or new workbook
Executes the Data/Text-to-Columns wizard in the new workbook

and, perhaps, attach it to a button.

There are too many potential, undefined variations in what you've posted to go
much further.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've settled on instructing my users to enter one piece of data in
each column to work around the issue, although a macro could probably
do it.

Thanks for your input, guys.

On Jul 4, 2:12 am, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
[...]

--ron- Hide quoted text -