Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eqa Eqa is offline

Default What formulae do I use to get a percentage going back down.

If I have a figure to which I have to apply an additional 17.5% say $100 so
that it eqals $117.5. What formula do I use to work out what the original
starting price was when I am confronted by $117.50 ie I want to get back to
the $100 figure. So in this case 17.5% up is what formula to go down and
what is the rule for going down from an number.

Hope this clear and much thanks.

Eqa
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If I have a figure to which I have to apply an additional 17.5% say $100
so
that it eqals $117.5. What formula do I use to work out what the original
starting price was when I am confronted by $117.50 ie I want to get back
the $100 figure. So in this case 17.5% up is what formula to go down and
what is the rule for going down from an number.

If the original price is X and you want to get the price with 17.4% tacked
on, you multiply by 1.175. This comes from doing this...

X + 0.175 * X = 1.175 * X (factor out the common X term)

So, the formula to go up is New = (1 + PercentAsDecimal) *Old

Hence, to go the other way, divide the above by (1+PercentAsDecimal).
Thus...

Old = New / (1 + PercentAsDecimal)

Example, what was the original price if $117.50 represents a 17.5% markup...

Old = $117.50 / 1.175 = $100

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

you need to know that 17.5 percent WAS applied(ie 100*1.175),or know what the
original starting price was.You get back to your original starting price by
dividing by 1.175 or determine your original increase by(117.5-100)/100
--
paul

remove nospam for email addy!

"Eqa" wrote:

If I have a figure to which I have to apply an additional 17.5% say $100 so
that it eqals $117.5. What formula do I use to work out what the original
starting price was when I am confronted by $117.50 ie I want to get back to
the $100 figure. So in this case 17.5% up is what formula to go down and
what is the rule for going down from an number.

Hope this clear and much thanks.

Eqa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

To Increase the figure from Net to Gross
=A1*(1+17.5%)
Going the other way, you just divide instead of multiply so to Decrease
from Gross back to Net
=A1/(1+17.5%)

If you put the 17.5% (or any other percentage) in a cell, say B1 then
it becomes
=A1/(1+B1)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Eqa" wrote in message
If I have a figure to which I have to apply an additional 17.5% say
$100 so
that it eqals $117.5. What formula do I use to work out what the
original
starting price was when I am confronted by $117.50 ie I want to get
back to
the $100 figure. So in this case 17.5% up is what formula to go down
and
what is the rule for going down from an number.

Hope this clear and much thanks.

Eqa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eqa Eqa is offline

Roger and all thanks for that.

But I realise I need to find out what the difference is in between the new
and the old price. So in this case I have $117.50 how do i get the $17.50 by
itself.

Eqa

"Eqa" wrote in message
If I have a figure to which I have to apply an additional 17.5% say
$100 so
that it eqals $117.5. What formula do I use to work out what the
original
starting price was when I am confronted by $117.50 ie I want to get
back to
the $100 figure. So in this case 17.5% up is what formula to go down
and
what is the rule for going down from an number.

Hope this clear and much thanks.

Eqa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi