Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier Roger Govier is offline

Default What formulae do I use to get a percentage going back down.

Hi

To Increase the figure from Net to Gross
=A1*(1+17.5%)
Going the other way, you just divide instead of multiply so to Decrease
from Gross back to Net
=A1/(1+17.5%)

If you put the 17.5% (or any other percentage) in a cell, say B1 then
it becomes
=A1/(1+B1)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Eqa" wrote in message
If I have a figure to which I have to apply an additional 17.5% say
$100 so
that it eqals $117.5. What formula do I use to work out what the
original
starting price was when I am confronted by $117.50 ie I want to get
back to
the $100 figure. So in this case 17.5% up is what formula to go down
and
what is the rule for going down from an number.

Hope this clear and much thanks.

Eqa